Monday, May 28, 2007

Waiter, there’s something in my…Mexican Stuffed Sweet Peppers

It is my first WTSIM (Waiter, There’s Something In My…) and I am so glad that I found a great recipe to contribute with. I chose a recipe that is called Stuffed Sweet Chili Peppers.

I used red and yellow Sweet Pointed Peppers and they were stuffed with a mixture of ground meat, vegetables, cooking banana, almonds and raisins. Usually stuffing that includes ground meat has rice as well and it is not one of my favourites, so this recipe was an excellent alternative. The only thing I will change next time is peppers, I will only use yellow ones, felt like they fit more than the red ones.



Mexican stuffed sweet peppers 
Adapted from "Cosina Mexicana"
4 sweet peppers
100 ml (60 g) of flour
3 eggs
oil for frying

1 small onion
2 garlic cloves
2 tomatoes
1 medium boiled potato
200 g of ground meat
2 tbs of chopped olives
2 tbs of chopped almonds
2 tbs of chopped raisins
1/2 cooking banana
salt and pepper
some oregano


To prepare: peal potato and cook it until it gets medium boiled. Cut banana in four pieces and fry it in a bit of oil until it gets golden. When potato and banana are done cut them in small pieces and set aside. Wash and clean peppers, take out the seeds and membranes. I usually cut a T in the pepper and take out the seeds and membranes with a small spoon.

To make stuffing:
Cut onion and garlic and fry them in some oil without them getting color. Add tomatoes and potato and after 5 minutes add the meat. Cook for another 20 minutes and add the rest of ingredients. Cook for 5 minutes more and when it's done stuff the peppers. Let rest while preparing the frying batter.

Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add yolks, flour and a pinch of salt. Blend carefully until everything is mixed well.

Heat the oil to medium hot. As I like my peppers to be a bit crunchy I used just a bit more oil than when you fry eggs. But if you like peppers to be soft you can always finish them in the oven after frying. Frying is just to make the batter nice and golden.
Take stuffed peppers and turn them around in the flour until covered. Dip in the egg batter and fry until they get golden. Put them to drip off the excess oil on kitchen paper. Bon appétit!

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Hi Mila and welcome to WTSIM! These look fabulous - in fact I think we made a version of them at a Mexican cooking day that the London bloggers had last year, only ours were just stuffed with cheese. Yours look like a substantial meal - and I love the combination of fruit and meat for a filling. Thanks so much for participating and hope to see you again next month!