Saturday, June 09, 2007

Smoked mussels with tomatoe and ginger sauce

This is my entry for a monthly Swedish event called “Cyberkocken” (Cyberchef). Every month four ingredients are chosen by the blogger who is hosting the event and you are supposed to make a dish that includes all those four ingredients. This month ingredients were given by Anne at "Anne’s food" and they were: mussels, ginger, cilantro and something smoked.

I immediately knew that I want to make a dish with smoked mussels, as I really like them a lot. The only mussels I like more are scallops. But given the ingredients smoked mussels were perfect.

After some looking through my recipes I figured out that I want to wrap them in phyllo dough and make a dipping sauce as well. In a Lufthansa magazine from last summer I found a wonderful tomato and ginger sauce.



Smoked mussels with tomatoe and ginger sauce
 

100 g mussels
some cilantro
2 tbsp melted butter
3-4 sheets phyllo dough

4 tomatoes
½ fresh ginger
1 chopped onion
1 chopped garlic glove
juice from one orange
a bit of chili
olive oil

Fry tomatoes and onion for about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and orange juice. Cook for another 5-10 minutes. Add some chili, salt and pepper. Let it cool.

Mix mussels with cilantro. Melt 1 tbsp butter. Take one sheet of phyllo dough and spread the melted butter over it. Put another phyllo sheet over it and cut in squares. I got 12 squares from one sheet.

Put a bit of the sauce on a square and put the mussel on the top. Role it like a spring role. Do the same with the rest of the mussels /squares and when done spread some melted butter on the top. Bake on 200˚C until they get golden, 10-15 minuter.

What’s left of the sauce I mixed and used as a dip sauc
e.

No comments: