Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Browniebabe

Browniebabe is a wonderful food-blog event founded and hosted by Myriam at Once upon a tart. A babe who can bake an ultimate brownie of the month will get the honour to be a “Browniebabe of the month”.

As the month is August I thought I wanted to bake a summer inspired brownie. Recently I made Cocadas and having Caribbean on my mind I decided that coconut should definitely be one of the ingredients in my brownie.

And for some reason whenever I think of Caribbean I also think of this drink called Coco-Loco. A wonderful coconut-pineapple cocktail, similar to piña colada but better, so you can imagine. So to my recipe I added fresh pineapple as well. And what can I say….. Brownie+August+summer+Caribbean+Coco-Loco = Browniebabe of the month

Coco-Loco Brownie

300 g dark chocolate (at least 65%)
200 g butter
180 g sugar
4 eggs
200 g flour

150 g fresh coconut
1 dl water
0,5 dl sugar
150 g fresh pineapple
2,5 dl milk
1,5 dl sugar
2 tsp corn starch


Start with the Coco-Loco batter. Shred coconut finely. Put 100 g shredded coconut in a saucepan together with 1 dl water and 0,5 dl sugar. Cook for about 30 minutes on a low high-heat until coconut gets transparent and water is gone.
In the meantime, cut pineapple in small pieces, the smaller the better. Squeeze out all juice and mix with the cooked coconut.

In another saucepan put 2,5 dl milk and 1,5 dl sugar and cook on a medium high-heat for about 30 minutes. The mixture needs to get thick, a bit thicker than condensed milk. Pour into the coconut-pineapple mixture, add corn starch and blend well. Set aside.

Now make the brownie dough. Melt chocolate and butter together over bain marie. Whip sugar and eggs; add melted chocolate and butter, blend well. Add flour and blend until incorporated.

Pour the batter into a buttered and floured pan (I use cacao instead of flour). The pan should be 20x30 cm. Take a small spoon and “dot” the brownie with small amounts of coco-loco mixture. Bake in preheated oven 200 C for about 20 minutes. When done, let cool and put in the fridge over the night. I really think all chocolate cakes taste better the next day.

Next day roast 50g of shredded coconut, cut the brownie into small pieces, role the sides in the roasted coconut…delicious delicious, simply delicious.










1 comment:

Frida said...

Oj så gott!

Detta måste jag göra. Trevlig blogg!