Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Banana bread

I wrote down the recipe for this banana bread from a bag of Gold Medal whole wheat flour when we lived in Shanghai. It is an excellent recipe for a moist banana bread that I have been using ever since. Sometimes I use spelt flour instead of whole wheat, sometimes I use olive oil or virgin coconut oil, recipe is quite adaptable.


I also use muscovado sugar and less of it. 1 cup and a 1/4 is just way too much for me so I used only 3/4 cup and the cake is sweet enough.
I have never tried to replace bananas with some other fruit bit the idea has crossed my mind.

Banana bread 
recipe from Gold Medal flour
1,5 C mashed very ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
3/4 C brown sugar (or muscovado)
2 eggs
2/3 C cup yogurt
1/3 C vegetable oil (olive oil, virgin coconut oil...)
1 vanilla pod
2,5 C whole wheat flour (or white spelt flour)
1 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 C raisins (optional)

baking pan, 22 cm round with a hole in the middle

Butter and flour the baking pan. Heat the oven to 175 C. Mash bananas and melt coconut oil (if using). Mix eggs and sugar, add coconut oil, yogurt, bananas and scraped vanilla seeds. Blend flour, soda, salt and raisins and add to the wet ingredients. Mix until everything is well blended. Pour into the pan and bake for about 45 minutes. Cool completely, it tastes even better the next day(s).

No comments: