Sunday, March 21, 2010

Mayonnaise

I really had no idea it was this easy to make mayonnaise. I usually never use mayonnaise but now I needed it for a recipe and decided to make it myself. It went excellent, it is very simple. But lots of whisking is necessary so take your time.

Mayonnaise 
recipe from Gourmet 
makes about 1 C (2,5 dl)
1 large egg yolk (room temperature)
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 C oil ( I used organic sunflower oil)
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1,5 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp white pepper

Whisk yolk, mustard and salt. Add 1/4C oil, veeeery slowly. I took a teaspoon and was dripping the oil slowly, whisking all the time. Add vinegar and lemon juice, whisk until combined. Add the rest of the oil, now you can add teaspoon by teaspoon, whisking constantly. Add some more salt and white pepper. Mayonnaise keeps in the fridge for 2 days.

No comments: