Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Pumpkin seed spätzle

Recently I wrote about the pumpkin seed oil and since then I have been looking for more recipes where I could use this amazing oil. And I found the pumpkin seed recipe: spätzle. Both the seeds and oil are used, and I also sprinkled the roasted pumpkin seeds over the dish. Fabulous.


I also bought new spätzle maker. It is so much better than my old one as the dough does not have anywhere to escape and make a mess.

Pumpkin seed spätzle

recipe slightly adapted from Epicurious
serves 4 as side dish 
1/2 C pumpkin seeds (mine were a bit roasted)
2 C flour (I used white spelt flour)
1 tsp salt
1 C water
3 eggs
1 tbsp pumpkin seed oil
50 gr butter
nutmeg, salt and pepper
2 tbsp roasted pumpkin seeds

Blend the seeds and 1/2 C flour until the seeds are ground. Add the rest of the flour and salt. In a bowl whisk eggs, add water and pumpkin seed oil. Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, whisk until smooth. Set aside.
In a large saucepan boil water, add salt and with a help of spätzle maker make spätzle. Cook for 2-3 minutes. If you have smaller saucepan make the spätzle in two rounds. Drain spätzle and set aside.

In a big pan melt the butter, add spätzle, freshly grounded nutmeg, salt and pepper. Serve with some drizzled pumpkin seed oil and roasted pumpkin seeds.

No comments: