Sunday, March 28, 2010

Vietnamese style spring rolls

When we lived in Shanghai there was a restaurant that served the most amazing Vietnamese spring rolls, ever. So when I came across the recipe that reminded me of those I just had to make it. And the rolls were super delicious, fresh and very summery.


I filled the spring rolls with fresh vegetables and veal cutlet. But feel free to use what ever vegetable or meat you like the most.

Vietnamese style spring rolls

recipe from Eating Out Loud 
serves 2 hungry
1/3 C smooth peanut sauce
1/3 C water
2 tbsp soy sauce (I used only 1 tbsp)
1 tsp honey
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp chili oil (I used chili powder)
2 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
1 clove minced garlic

200 gr veal cutlet
2 tbsp peanut sauce
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp minced ginger

1 carrot
1 kohlrabi
1 cucumber
fresh cilantro
couple of salad leaves
10 rice wrappers ( I used square 16x16 cm)

First make the peanut sauce. I did not use blender, instead I chopped cilantro and whisked all ingredients in a small bowl.
Blend 2 tbsp peanut sauce, garlic and ginger in a bowl and marinate the meat. In the meantime cut the vegetables.


When done with vegetables, heat a pan a cook the meet to your liking. Let the meat sit for about 10 minutes and then slice.
Pour some warm water in a deep plate big enough to fit rice wrappers. Dip one wrapper in the warm water until completely soft (10-15 seconds). Take out of the water and put on a dry plate.
Place some vegetables and a strip or two of meet and wrap tightly. Repeat until you have used all vegetables. Serve with the peanut sauce.

No comments: